Saturday, May 30, 2015

First Step

Every dream begins with a first step!  Most of the time, I just plunge in, just like diving into a cold pool of water.  Rather than chance getting bored or frightened, just plunge into the project and deal with it!  So it began with the fridge!  Uggggghhhhh what a mess!

Not only was it a mess, but it wasn't user friendly for my husband that reaches in from a wheel chair.  The shelves needed to be rearranged to suit his needs.  For example, the milk needed to be moved from the top shelf (where he had difficulty reaching) to the middle shelf.  

And...I didn't stop here.  Nope!!!!  It felt good and I was on a roll!  Keeping my husband in mind, the pantry needed the same kind of essential change.  As with the fridge, I just pulled everything out and cleaned the shelves, the sides, the doors!  For the wooden pantry, nothing works better than some Murphy's Oil Soap!  I love how it cleans and love the smell!  
I also had to throw out out dated items.  How in the world did we accumulate so many out dated boxes, cans, and bottles.  It felt like I was throwing away money.  This, in turn, made me realize how much I need to pay attention to the contents of the pantry.  I threw out at least one large black trash bag full of pantry items.  Ugggggggghhhhhh

Realizing I need to watch the budget, too, I tried to use containers that I already have to group like items together.   

Weight Watchers items needed baskets.  I love, love, love the blueberry oatmeal, and  smoothies (any flavor), so those breakfast items needed to go together. Generally, I don't have baskets like this on hand, BUT I had this Dollar General Basket.   Snacks and chips also fit well together in a popcorn basket that must have been part of a gift basket given at Christmas.  It came in handy!  

These accomplishments may appear small, but it took most of the day!  I was exhausted!  The reward was the feeling I got each time the fridge or cabinet was opened.  It's just the beginning!!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment