Saturday, May 16, 2015

Dreams Have A Way Of Changing

Sometimes, looking back...I've wondered how in the world we made it through some of life's obstacles that were hurled into our path.  Without a doubt, God's grace and love sustained us.  We walked through the valley's and grew stronger.  Consequently, each valley changed our perception of what was beautiful, what was important, and ultimately it re-shaped the desires our of heart.

It didn't make as much of an impact when I saw my sister and her husband traveling similar paths.  How could I have been so naive?  So careless?  So self absorbed that I missed it? My brother-in-law, John, suffered a major stroke.  Their own life perception immediately had to change.  Joyce had to take off work for such a long period of time, she ultimately had to change professions. Yet, she grew into a beautiful person because of the valley.  An interview with John and Joyce can be found here .  


Now, years later, I find myself in a similar situation.  My husband, handicapped with MS, can no longer care for us as he did in the past. He's still my hero, my superman, the man of my dreams.  It's just the dream had to change, my perception and vision had to be adjusted.  It's really all in my perspective.

Meanwhile, my view has cleared so I can now glimpse into the life of one who is handicapped.  The reality is much different on this side of the road!  For example, going out to eat is more than a dining experience.  It's an opportunity for conversation rather than the ringing sounds of silence from the once busy farm house.  It's not a quick run into town for something to eat, but it's a well planned outing that can take every bit of strength he's saved up for a couple of days.  When you see someone in a similar situation, out and about, take the time to talk, seat them around others (not in a back room away from the crowd), and smile.  It's a vacation from the daily routine of silence.  

No comments:

Post a Comment